Saturday, August 20, 2011

Our Princess is HERE!

Karris Grace Knight arrived on 8-15 at 11:27AM weighing 6lb 12oz and was 19.5 inches long. After going into the hospital on Sunday at 4PM for a scheduled induction, much to everyone's delight my progress Monday morning was great! My cervix was completely softened and I was dilated to a 2 as of 5:00AM. The nurses started me on Pitocin at 5:30AM. I didn't get much sleep on Sunday night because the heart monitor for Karris kept on not reading her heart rate because she was so active (which has continued to hold true!) and because of me moving around trying to get comfortable in my sleep. But, I was so excited - getting up at 5 was no problem at all! I could feel a few strong contractions that night too, which was also exciting!

After the Pitocin was up and going, regular contractions really started between 7-8AM. By 9AM I was having very regular contractions and I was in EXTREME pain. They were every 2-3 minutes and lasting a good minute. Poor Daniel was so upset for me that I really thought he was going to be in tears. The nurses would not get give me anything for the pain, because since things were progressing so quickly they knew as soon as my doctor got there he would likely order an epidural. So let me just tell you how NOT fun having active labor contractions are with no pain medicine! And I feel like I have a pretty high pain threshold! It was horrible. I didn't cry, but I was so close and it truly makes me want to cry even thinking about it! Luckily, Dr. S showed up around 9:30 and ordered my epidural. It was administered around 9:30ish. Talk about heaven! Woooo hoooo. I was on cloud 9. From there they just monitored baby Karris and I. Around 10:30, the nurses started getting concerned because Karris' heart rate was dropping to the low 100's. (Infant heart rates should be between 120-160). After positioning me different ways and giving me oxygen, a little after 11 Dr. S decided an emergency C-section was necessary because Karris was likely on her umbilical cord, or regardless, something wasn't quite right! So... the whole thing happened very, very quickly. I was in the operating room for the C-section at 11:20 and Karris was born at 11:27. Daniel was in there with me for the surgery. It was truly amazing. As soon as they laid her next to me, I saw Daniel cry for the first time and I was overwhelmed with emotion. I looked at Karris and I said "Karris, I am your mommy" and she quit crying and look right at me with her big, gorgeous eyes. Afterwards, I went to recovery for awhile and Daniel got to take her to the nursery and spend about 15 minutes with her until they bathed her etc. Around 2:00 they brought her into our room and she hasn't been out of my sight since! She is the sweetest baby and I can't get enough of her. Daniel is the best daddy I could've ever imagined. I often wondered how he would take to daddyhood - and I can say that he is better than I imagined. I already don't want her to grow up and she isn't even a week old. I find myself telling people and thinking about it all the time. She is so perfect in my eyes. I absolutely cannot explain the love I have for her and the love that now have for Daniel. It has made our relationship stronger than I could ever imagine. I am on cloud 9 as you can see and I never want to get off!



No comments:

Post a Comment